Abigail's Birth Story...

10.21.2008

Prepare yourselves...it's long.So here is how the whole thing went down...

I had an appointment on Monday morning at 9am. My doctor stripped my membranes and said that with how low she was that I would be in labor within the next 24 to 48 hours. Well he was right, my contractions started immediately! So by 9:15am my labor had begun.
Josh and I visited my sister who had been induced that morning, and then went to my parents to anxiously await when her little girl would arrive. I didn't want to get my hopes up that this was real labor because I had had 3 false labors already. However after they had been going on for a few hours my mom said I most definitely was in labor. My contractions were 5 minutes apart by 1pm but I felt really strong and relaxed so I wasn't in any hurry to go to the hospital. My doctor told me to check in when I could no longer talk through a contraction, so I knew it wasn't time.

We got a call that my sister was about to push so we headed to the hospital. Josh and I had all of our stuff in our car already just in case I would be needing to check in; thankfully my sister and I have the same doctor, so it worked out perfectly that I would be at the hospital already if needed. When we arrived unfortunately my sister wasn't going to be able to push for a while. So my parents and Josh and I had some lunch and then just waited. My contractions were just 3 minutes apart by 4pm, but I was still feeling really good and able to talk through them. And there was no way I was going to miss meeting my new niece!

My sister delivered at 5:27pm. We went in to meet Kaylee at probably 6pm or so and by this time I was definitely having to concentrate more on my contractions and just relax. I held Kaylee for a minute and then needed to just sit down and focus. My parents kept telling me I should consider checking in, and finally at 6:30pm I decided it was time.

I had Josh give me a blessing; I am truly grateful for the power of the Priesthood. His blessing gave me strength and courage. The nurse monitored my contractions and admitted me by 6:45pm. I was dilated to a 5 and my contractions were still 2 minutes apart.

I felt pretty good up until the last hour and a half I think; that is when Josh said he could tell I was having a harder time with them. Which was when I hit 7 cm. The nurse said; as well as my book; that 7 cm is the hardest part, but the quickest! And they were right! I was having back contractions which hurt more then contractions up front to me, and I was having what's called Coupling Contractions...this means I had 2 contractions back to back before getting a break; I had never heard of this before, but man were they intense.

At 10pm my doctor told me I was at a stretched 7cm and I would be delivering in 1 hour; I made him shake my hand on it :). I was definitely in quite a bit of pain at this point and I definitely thought I was insane and wanted to give up.

But I am so grateful to Josh; he had more confidence in me then I did and he was such a wonderful support. He just kept encouraging me and helping me. I am also so grateful to Heavenly Father; I know it is because of him that he created a way for me to be able to deliver naturally like I had been praying for the past 9 months. (That's another story in itself)

I shot from 7cm to 9cm within 30 minutes or so, so my doctor was right; I was most definitely delivering in an hour like he had said. Before I knew it I felt the pressure to push; much different then I imagined; and I was going to whether anyone said to or not!

It took 12 minutes, and 6 pushes and our beautiful baby daughter was here!! The moment she came out I was so excited that I had done it! I am grateful that Abigail was as low as she could be, this most definitely helped me push her out so quickly I think. So thank you Abigail. :)

I am just so grateful and so thankful to Josh and our Heavenly Father! As well as our nurse, Julie and my doctor; both of them were so wonderful and supportive and encouraged me. Josh and I love them. Josh was so amazing and I most definitely could not have accomplished this with out him. He makes me feel like I can do anything and would never let me give up on myself.

After being home a couple of days I was able to really think about things and just process everything. If you had asked me right after labor if I would do it naturally again, I wouldn't have even known what to say because it's definitely extremely hard work and very exhausting; and yes, it hurts. However now I can say I most definitely want to do it again; I'm so happy I did it and it is definitely empowering. And now instead of saying "I can do it because millions of other women have done it", I can say, "I can do it because I have done it!". I just feel so lucky to have had such a smooth labor and delivery. Technically I was in labor for 13 hours, but I feel like I only had 4 hours of intense labor, and 1 1/2 hours of hard hard labor. I felt like it went by so quickly and before I knew it Abigail was in my arms! I hope all of my deliveries go that great!

And here are some pictures of our adorable little girl!

We loved this dress because it reminds us of a tennis dress.
We just liked the way she had her arms in this one.

And who doesn't love baby's feet and hands.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome Megs!!! I knew you could do it!! IT is so empowering, amazing what your body can do as a woman!! I love ya. I have tried to call you a couple of times but it doesn't work.. You didn't change numbers did you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much for sharing your birth story Meg. It makes me even more excited to give birth to this baby. You're so strong, I hope I can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see the socks I got for her are being put to good use even though they are probably too big for her feet right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the socks on her hands, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Fortunately for me I have never been in labor that long but I start with strong contractions and I am afraid if I don't get help I would go FOREVER... My babies don't drop. My body is usually ready before the baby is so when I am monitored.... with an epidural...I have really strong contractions and coupling for a few hours...just waiting for the drop. With Ty I was dialated to a 3 at my appointment with my water about to break and that night had conractions for 45 min and was to a 9 by the time I got to the hospital but didn't have him for a few hours because he hadn't dropped! which of course means I got through that 7 stage (wow that is saying something for me) but I would have just had contraction after contraction with no need to push. Maybe it is a good thing I have epidurals...I like to think maybe I could have done it if I got the hour time frame... but 3 hours I don't think so (easy to say after the fact)! Congrats You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little feet!
    I am very proud of you for having a natural labor and so proud of Josh for being so good to you during that difficult time! Congrats again.
    Keep the pic.s coming. We hope we can make a trip up to Boise to visit you guys and meet Abi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am really impressed that you did it all natural. I never had any desire to even try. I'm too much of a wimp. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS