The effect of having a baby...

7.31.2009

So I just watched The Work and the Glory movies; I had seen the first one years ago, but never the remaining two. I really enjoyed them...just one problem...they made me bawl my eyes out. Oh I didn't cry because of the spirituality of the movie, I mean that was wonderful of course, but the actual thing that got me was when Joseph and Emma's baby boy dying. I couldn't contain myself. And why couldn't I contain myself? I have the answer...Abigail. Yes, it's her fault. I say this with all the love in the world, but until that adorable angel came in to my life I would have thought that scene was sad, but I wouldn't have cried uncontrollably like I did today. It's not just this movie either, any movie, show, or book that tells about a child in pain, sorrow, or worse, I just can't contain my emotions. Because now EVERY baby in EVERY show represents my baby; I watch it and get depressed about the thought of that ever happening to her.
I guess I just never expected this effect. It makes it very difficult to get through anything that's not a comedy.

8 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I watched the church's Easter video (The Lamb of God) after having Ryan. That is a very touching show, but after having a child and watching it. The scene at the cross with His mother there. I really lost it like I never had before. Realizing that Mary loved Jesus just as any mother loves their precious son or daughter, I'd never thought of that side of the story before and the sacrifice she made. Yes, having a child changes you in more ways than you can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, me too, I am an emotional sucker now as well. You just don't know what motherhood will be like until you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it happens to fathers as well only the ladies talk about it more. jeremy has always been a emotional person but now that he's a father, he's even more emotional, more passionate about things. much more protective about children. it's confusing how there can be so much abuse in the world when after becoming a parent the amount of love and joy that comes with that is huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think being a parent makes everyone feel the way that you described. That means that you are a good parent.
    Wow! It sounds like lots of news in your life. Hope the move to Salt Lake works out well for you when it happens.
    Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. That happened to me after I got married. Whenever a song about two lovers not being able to be together comes on the radio, or a soldier going to war, I picture myself as her and can't handle it. I never understood crying at weddings or when a baby is born, but now I do. And when an old person's spouse dies I cry for them, bcuz if my husband died now, after three years, I know how I would feel, but after 53 years, I would die! and it goes on like this.....
    I tried to blame it on the birth control bcuz of the added hormone, but I lowered the dose and still the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl... I don't know why I even watch the 27 consecutive episodes of "A Baby Story" on TLC in the mornings. Because I bawl my face off the minute every single baby comes out. Even the girls whom I can barely stand to watch (including the scheduled c-section who said it's the 21st century and giving birth vaginally is "archaic"), I die when they have their babies too. Motherhood is going to make for some frequent makeup re-application, I know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to tease grandma growing up because she always cried and those kinds of shows and got emotional about things and she always said wait until you are a mother and then you will understand. GUESS WHAT....I cry at all those things and my kids always say...Are you crying, why are you crying? And so now I say just wait until you are a mother then you will understand. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get so emotional now when I hear of people losing their spouses... and I'm sure that having a child will add to that feeling. It's amazing how our experiences can change us.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS