What's been happening...

4.01.2016

As much as I very much want to keep this thing updated on a more regular basis, by the time I have a moment to sit down and chill, the blog just feels like more work. I know it's going to get even busier over the next few months, so I don't want to get further behind.

First of all we had a bit of a surprise in February. We took the girls in for their wellness visit and it was clear that Abigail had a harder time reading with her left eye. At home I would have never guessed this. She reads perfectly well, her eye never crossed, and she definitely wasn't running into things or anything. But once she closes the right, it's clear that it was doing most of the work. So we took her into the eye doctor, and...

























Apparently she has astigmatism in the left eye, and she is farsighted. The reason she never noticed any issues was because the right was doing all of the work. So now she is to wear them as much as possible and it could possibly help train the eye enough to focus on one point, and then she could possibly only need to wear them while reading in the future.

She was pretty excited about getting them, and says that things look bigger with them on. She's had them for nearly two months and I would say the excitement as worn off, but she doesn't hate them. I just think she'll eventually want contacts in the future if she has to continue to wear them constantly. She gets excited when she see's fellow glasses wearers. And so far she's been really responsible with them, and has an obsession with keeping them clean.

I think she looks pretty adorable.

Mailie gave us her own surprise. A few weeks ago we noticed she uses scissors to cut up a few things in the schoolroom, and then a few random things in her room, but nothing big. Then we kept finding more and more things she had gotten to, including multiple dresses, a sweater of Josh's, her pillow case, and who knows what else. I keep expecting to find more. I was sad to see all these adorable dresses that she cut up, and surprised to see she cut up a spiderman shirt...she loves it. She was kind enough to not cut up anything of Abigail's, or anything that is sentimental, at least. And I was just grateful to see she hadn't chopped her hair; thankfully she wants Rapunzel hair so she doesn't want it touched. After talking with her, tears pouring down her face, it became clear that she didn't think this was a permanent thing. She thought I could just sew everything back to normal. I felt kind of bad for her because she looked so sad and knew we weren't too thrilled. I don't think we'll be having issues with scissors again, but I have them hidden again. You can't see it all too well, but here are a few of the victims.



















Mailie has also been obsessed with taking the feathers out of her pillow. Once I had told her it was time to eat and she said she didn't want to eat because she was getting her feathers out. Mighty focused on it. Then the next day she made it easier and just sliced the pillow. So we had feathers all over their room. Thankfully she didn't swing the pillow around so it was still mostly filled up, but it was a lot of fun to clean up.

So some fun times the past few weeks.

Easter weekend was really nice. I was able to attend Women's Conference with my friend, Elizabeth, and I always enjoy being in the same room with our G.A. I loved the messages given, and I especially loved the emphasis on spreading the love and giving service to refugees.

Mailie gave a talk in Primary on Sunday, which she was excited about and did a great job. I'm not going to lie, it makes me smile seeing the other kids just smiling at her and talking about how cute and tiny she is. The Easter bunny visited us while we were at church. I expected more aggression out of the girls, simply because you're hunting for the goods, but they were really pretty calm about it, even helping each other get candy. Josh brought up a good point that there are only two of them, so it's not as much of a "out for yourself"situation as when you grow up with more siblings.


























The rest of the day was peaceful, and just an enjoyable time to be as a family. Abigail gave us an FHE lesson on the last days of Christs life.
























This brings me to my final "what the heck?"story. I'm blaming it on perhaps too much Easter candy. I woke up in the middle of the night, as usual, but noticed a light on in the hallway so I went to check on the girls and they were both out of their beds. I'm slightly paranoid so my mind went to 'kidnapping' for a split second as I headed to the living room. I discovered the girls with two jugs of water, pretty certain some candy, blankets, pillows and animals all in their place to "camp out", so they said, and a movie on. Now, it is hard to parent properly when you are not 100% awake and not thrilled about having to discipline at such an hour. I did my best. The girls acted confused like it was completely normal, what they were doing. Thankfully everyone returned to their beds and slept a few more hours. The next day went better than expected, but there were higher emotions than usual by the evening hours.



















A few weeks ago the girls came up with a new holiday they would like our family to celebrate, called Children's Giving Day. It's a day where the kids just make things for their parents and siblings. I went with it since it didn't really involve me doing anything. Abigail used fabric to cut out an owl along with baby owls for me since I love owls. Mailie also used fabric to cut out a lion and spiderman. Abigail made a bunch of hearts for Mailie, and it seemed to take her breath away with excitement, and gave her a big hug. I'm not entirely sure what all they did, but they were happy, and I didn't have to do a thing.

As for the rest of life. This semester has been one of the busiest for Josh. I can tell it's taking it's toll on the girls. Abigail is understanding but she mentions often that she can't wait for this to be over so we can hang out as a family. I think Mailie thinks that because she does school at home that he can too, and gets sad that he has to turn around and leave. So it's a bummer, and it's hard, but it'll be over soon, and it'll be like coming up for air. This semester ends next week, hallelujah. Dreams feel like they're getting closer to being fulfilled.

We're looking forward to the warm weather and all that spring/summer has to offer us. The kids had a blast playing in the snow all winter, and now with it warming up they are loving finding little flowers, snails, worms, and getting dirty in the mud.

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. I love Abigail's glasses! I have noticed a lot of kids who are new to wearing glasses go through a phase where they really notice other wearers of glasses.

    My kids wanted a children's holiday too, but it was selfish. They wanted us to give them toys, not the giving holiday your girls came up with for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the next month flies by and you can have a break!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS